Friday, November 22, 2013

Flex Nov 22 (three weeks before Desolation of Smaug comes out)

Yes, Hobbit Movie part 2... did I tell you that our class is booked in to see it? Last afternoon before Christmas break.

Today's seminar and flex are quite straightforward.

Seminar 1: those who have read 2 or more chapters of Into Thin Air

Seminar 2: those who have read less than that.

We will be "deconstructing" the novel study and developing ideas together for how to do a meaningful exploration of the book.

Flex (the time you are not in Seminar): Read! At least the first 2 chapters.  After that, please work on one of your two projects underway:

Expressing Landscapes (Geomorphology Wrap-up Assignment, went our in class yesterday), or GeoNarratives (long-term Project-Based Learning)

Alternately, read on your own, whatever book you have on the go for November, and respond to what you are writing (a version of which goes into your digital portfolio).

I sure enjoy reading the snippets of writing that many of you have placed in your digital portfolios.  It really helps me see high school and the "human drama" (you are teenagers, after all) in a new light.  Something terrible (wonderful?) happens when you get older -- you forget what it is like to experience the world with the raw emotions and malleability of adolescence.

Finally... accountability -- I take attendance for the flex by checking the comments below.  Leave a comment that indicates what you did today for or during flex.  This also helps me provide "formative" feedback for what you are learning.

13 comments:

  1. I finished my psychology homework I didn't have a chance for finish last night, I read the first 2 chapters on Into Thin Air, and googled project ideas for my Expressing Landscapes project.
    -Paige C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't able to read the first to chapters of the book but I was able to gather some information for my geonarritives project.

    -Dyllan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did some biology homework and also studied for a test. I was also able to do some geonaritive research.
    -David F

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robbie and I read the first 2 chapters, out loud....you know like we always do >_> And I gathered a bit more info for my Geonarratives project

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did some reading and did some research for my geonarratives project.

    -Blake H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can anyone tell me what the Expressing Landscape project is?! :S PLEASE HELP!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read 3 chapters.

    ~Kennedy

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read some pages from the book we're going to study and my own book

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read two chapters.

    -Jan Sondergeld

    ReplyDelete
  10. I researched a little about my Geonarratives project, and i read two chapters of Into Thin Air.

    -Rhys G.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I worked on Geonarratives research, and read some of Into Thin Air.
    -Lyndsey B.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I worked on my Geonarratives project and read the first 3 chapters of the book
    -Emily S.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read 3 chapters
    - Jonathan

    ReplyDelete